In The Classroom
Seton High School’s Mathematics department offers a challenging, hands-on and rigorous program sequenced to support the individual needs of students with varying talents and abilities.
Students acquire 21st century technology skills through tools such as graphing calculators, tablet PCs, smart devices, and through software programs and APPS. Students who need extra support in Mathematics are actively engaged in ALEKS, a blended-learning software that combines technology with a classroom teacher to individualize and tailor instruction. Students who excel in Mathematics have the opportunity to advance to Advanced Placement AB and BC Calculus as well as opportunities to participate in a variety of college and career ready electives.
Flexible Credit Opportunities
Accelerated students who have successfully passed Algebra 1 and the Algebra I End of Course Assessment at the grade school level may be able to test into Honors Geometry and Honors Algebra II. Please see our Curriculum Guide for additional information.
To fulfill diploma requirements, 4 units of credit must be accumulated. Please see our Curriculum Guide for course descriptions.
- Computer Science. Through a partnership with The University of Cincinnati, students engage in applicable, hands-on, project-based units that explore topics such as web design, programming, computing and data analysis, and robotics. It is an excellent opportunity for students of varying abilities who wish to pursue a career in Technology, Engineering, or Business.
Advanced Placement and Early College Credit (Dual Enrollment) Offerings
- AP Statistics. This course prepares students to take and pass the AP Statistics exam and is an excellent opportunity for students wishing to pursue careers in Business, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and the Sciences.
- AP AB and BC Calculus. These higher level mathematics courses are available for early college credit through our strong partnership with Mount Saint Joseph University. Please visit AP & Early College Credit (Dual Enrollment) for details and to see a complete listing of both AP and Early College Credit Courses available.
Mathematics Department Activities and Clubs
Seton High School’s Mathematics Department engages with local colleges and universities in addition to local and national organizations to offer students opportunities to participate in meaningful life-long learning and real world activities. Such opportunities include:
- 3D Printing – All school events as well as 3D printing are explored in the Mathematics classroom.
- JETS – Seton and Elder participate annually to meet representatives from various nationwide colleges and universities for an exclusive opportunity to learn more about their programs. Students also explore various internship opportunities and network with local industry.
- STEAM Club and TSA-TEAMS – Students in the STEAM club (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) attend the TSA-TEAMS (Tests of Engineering, Aptitude, Mathematics, and Science) Competition at the University of Cincinnati, a one-day competition where teams apply math and science knowledge to solve real world engineering challenges.